Friday, October 24, 2014

Try

There is this hill just a few miles past the gate, on the ridge line trail where I grew up mountain biking. The hill is not a typical one with a gradual ascent. It is as if a large dump truck had dropped all of its dirt in one spot, creating a steep climb that is probably better for riding down rather than up. My favorite part is that climbing the hill is completely optional, as there is a wide fire lane route that takes you directly around the 50ft mound of dirt. Each time I faced this fork in the road, I decided that it would be better to try to climb the dirt pile, even if I couldn't ride all the way to the top. That choice, to try and give my best attempt, continues to be my preferred choice in life. Try what you may or may not be able to do rather than simply taking the easy way out.


Roadblock? Nope, just a slight detour.


For almost two months now, I have been trying a different type of challenge while behind the handle bars. Bike touring by myself has had its ups and downs (pun intended), but overall it has been a really great way to test and expand my limits while connecting to some of Life's bare necessities. Some days I wish I were relaxing or back at home with a daily routine. In fact, I find the first 20 minutes of biking each day to be the worst, but then again, that could apply to any task. It can be daunting getting my legs warmed up and used to the heavy load, while also reviewing how much climbing is planned for the day and the distance that needs to be covered. It's been a hard first month of bike touring (mas o menos), but I am really glad I set forth to try it. Entering Peru earlier last week, I have a whole new country ahead of me and I'm excited to continue giving it my best shot.

Roadblock? Nope, just some mud and friendly animals!


Back home, I eventually was able to make it to the top of that steep hill. It took probably twenty or more tries. I found that it takes a good twenty seconds of just the right amount of technical maneuverability, sustained power, and focused breathing. The best part about it (and my reason for writing this) was that I was shocked one day to have actually made it to the top. That's what I consider a "surprise success". I surprised myself that biking to the top of this dirt pile was actually doable. The earlier failed attempts became almost routine, but in the end, they made the feat of getting to the top feel like a real accomplishment. It might sound cliche, but upon having ridden to the top of that dirt pile, I felt alive.

Roadblock? Nope, just a few broken spokes and all the tools to fix it!


I believe the secret element of surprise is a great impetus for working hard. Even in knowing that there may not be an instantaneous reward, giving anything your best effort with persistent determination is a path towards later success. Every day, I give bike touring my best effort. I currently don't have a set destination, but I wouldn't mind surprising myself by riding straight into Bolivia!


No matter what the journey, it will all be worth it!


Though not every try results in success, I consider the very act of trying a success in itself! I also know that through increased tries, there is a likelihood of increased successes - a large number of which could potentially be "surprise successes"! For me, that's reason enough to try just about anything, even if I think I won't initially succeed. Each moment, you have an opportunity to try. Grab it.

-Matt

P.s.



3 comments :

  1. Happy Birthday Matt! Glad you enjoyed that chocolate.
    Hope you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great things you are reflecting on during this time of solo riding! great read! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you call that a "little" bug, I would love to see what a big bug looks like. Always a great read, Matt. I look forward to it every week.

    ReplyDelete