Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Reflection in the Rear View Mirror

 It was almost 4 years ago when I was driving North on Interstate 5 with a new friend, Louie, who wanted to bike back down south on the Pacific Coast Highway with me. We had our bikes loaded on the back of the car and were checking out the route with maps for the trip back to our current residence in Irvine.



Fast forward to 4 years later and I found myself driving home. This time alone and with all my belongings moving back to my parents house. This of course included my two bikes on the back rack. However, this time with a bigger trip in mind. One that would take a bit more coordination, and planning, (and Money).





Louie did the same thing 2 weeks earlier except on a plane departing from New York. We both quit our jobs and we are soon flying down to Costa Rica for the beginning of our longest bike tour yet. The plan is to bike from North to South in South America, covering the West coast .



Louie and I met with a common interest in mountain biking. It was on a mountain bike ride in crystal cove when he told me about an article he read about this guy who biked across the USA with a trailer that he slept in. It sounded like a neat idea, but a 60 day bike tour was out of the question for us since we were both in school. I proposed that we try our own bike tour for a week down the PCH. That bike tour showed us that exploring the world by bike is our favorite way to travel!







2 comments :

  1. Matt & Louie...more than a pleasure meeting you at the beginning of your shared journey. I look forward to hearing of all your up and coming experiences!
    Pure Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Matt! Looks like your adventure is going well. Look forward to traveling with you guys :)

    Lorraine

    ReplyDelete